Provenance : Acquired by the present owner directly from the artist
Prithpal Ladi was born in Shillong in 1955. He graduated in Sculpture with a distinction at the M.S University, Baroda in 1981. His sculptures are futuristic stone monuments. He uses childhood references like the Cherrapunji butterflies to represent Shillong. His works are both mysterious as well as grotesque. His solo shows include Jehangir Art Gallery ,Mumbai, 1996, the 8th Asian Biennale, Dhaka, Contemporary Indian Art, Peru, 1998, Edge of the Century, New Delhi, 1999 Gallery Goethe, Munich, 2000, British Council, New Delhi, 2001, Gallery Muller & Plate, Munich, 2002, 2003, and Jehangir Art Gallery, Mumbai, 2004. His works represented the country at the Asian Art Show, Fukuoka, Japan and Seoul, South Korea. He received a national Lalit Kala Academy award in 1981, the Gujarat Lalit Kala Academy awards in 1978 and 1988 and the Inaugural Bendre Husain Award in 1989. He has received numerous scholarships including a Government scholarship to the Ecole Superieure des Beaux Arts, Paris in 1981-82. He taught sculpture at the School of Architecture, Ahmadabad and NIFT, New Delhi. He lives and works in Shillong.