Published : ‘Prodosh Das Gupta: Contemporary Indian Art Series’ by Lalit Kala Akademi, Delhi, 1961, pg. 24 (another).
‘Prodosh Das Gupta : Sculptures & Drawings’ by Kumar Gallery, Delhi, 2008, pg. 13 (another).
Provenance : Property of an eminent collector based in Kolkata. Artwork was acquired by the present owner directly from the artist.
Height of the figure - 6ft
A master sculpturer, Prodosh Das Gupta was born in Dhaka in the year 1912. He started his
education with studying sculpture at the Lucknow school of Arts and Crafts before moving on
to get a diploma at the Government School of Art and Craft in Chennai. He later moved to
London in 1937 to study Bronze casting at the LCC Central School and Ecole de Grand
Chaumier in Paris. On his return to Indian in 1940, he formed the Calcutta Group of Artists
along with artists like Paritosh Sen, Hemant Mishra and Gopal Ghose. Much like the PAG
the aim of the group was to break away from the academic style taught at various Indian
institutions and adopt a more global aesthetic. The group held its first exhibition in the year
1943. He also served as the curator for the National Gallery of Modern Art, New Delhi from
1957 to 1970. Dasgupta achieved what he set out to do and achieved the perfect synergy in
his sculptures between the western influences and the traditional Indian ones. His sculptures
ranged from realistic figurative representations to abstract ones. He believed in the intuitive
process of making sculpture and kept his mind free of any preconceived notions before
beginning work. His aim was to create a sense of rhythm in his work that could be
communicated to the observer. One can regard him as the pioneer of a new contemporary
period of Indian sculpture. The artist passed away in 1991 in Kolkata.